Saturday 10 July 2010

A Romantic, Traditional Scottish Affair!



“Marcus proposed when he took me on a surprise trip to New York. We were in Central Park sitting on a bench, all wrapped up as it was November and freezing! He gave me the ring and asked would I marry him, it was perfect.”



Jillian and Marcus met in September 2001 when holidaying separately with friends on a beautiful Greek island. “I saw him and thought he was like Kelly Jones (Stereophonics) but taller, so I was hooked”! They tied the knot on 30th July 2005 in a privately owned 14th century Castle, in the heart of the Ancient “Kingdom of Fife”, Scotland.
From holiday romance to highland dance.....!


Tell us about the proposal
Marcus proposed when he took me on a surprise trip to New York. We were in Central Park sitting on a bench, all wrapped up as it was November and freezing! He gave me the ring and asked would I marry him, it was perfect.


Theme of Wedding
Scotland has long been known as a romantic venue for a wedding. As Marcus is from Scotland, Jillian wanted a traditional Scottish wedding with a romantic Castle theme. They fell in love with Fernie Castle, Fife, for its Turrets, Private Loch and Ancient Ice House set in the 17 acres of wooded ground. www.ferniecastle.demon.co.uk.


Tell us about your dress
Jillian followed the example of earlier Scot brides and chose to marry in sky blue. Blue signifies constancy, love, modesty, purity and fidelity. “My dress was by Helen Marina (www.helenmarinabridalwear.co.uk) . I saw it in a magazine, checked where it was stocked and it was the first dress I tried on in a small shop in Crosby now called Boutique Brides (www.boutiquebrides.com). It was a bodice with a full skirt and train that could also be hooked up later in the day.”


Describe your accessories
In keeping with the blue theme, Jillian wore a short veil that was also sky blue, embellished with stones. “My shoes were by LK Bennett. I wore a tiara, diamond necklace, earrings and bracelet.” (www.lkbennet.com)


Describe the Groom’s outfit
“Marcus, being Scottish, obviously wore a kilt. It was hired from a local shop near his home town and was blue to co-ordinate with the bridesmaids.”


Bridesmaids
We had three Bridesmaids. Their dresses were from Virgin Brides in Manchester, by the designer Lorenzo. They were long dresses and a deeper blue to mine.”


Other attendants
“The Best Man and my Dad also wore kilts, even though they aren't Scottish.”


Flowers
Unfortunately, Jillian was disappointed with her floral arrangements on the day. “I won’t name the florist as that was the only hiccup of the day. I visited the florist six months prior with a picture of what I thought was the perfect bouquet, based around beautiful orchids; the bridesmaids’ (bouquets) were to be smaller. On the morning of the wedding, the bouquets arrived to which I asked my mum if she thought the button holes were a bit too big. The bouquets were basically the orchids and no other flowers added. Luckily, my mum is a trained florist so managed to save the day by "borrowing" some of the flowers from the castle.”


The Ceremony
Jillian and Marcus were married in a civil ceremony within the gardens of the Castle. “It was decided just half an hour before the service (to marry within the gardens) as it had been raining the day before, and the morning didn't look hopeful. But a blue sky appeared which was perfect. A lone piper did the Wedding March which gave me goosebumps! We had a string quartet through the service.”


The Reception
The reception was held in the Ballroom of Fernie Castle, overlooking the floodlit Loch. “We decided on a round top table so we could talk to everyone around us.” For the Wedding Breakfast, there was choice of Melon Royale or Smoked Salmon starter, Princess’s Chicken, Poached Tay Salmon or Beef for main served with traditional vegetables, and a selection cakes for dessert.


Cake
In keeping with their Castle theme, Jillian opted for a lavish fairytale castle cake made by Goodfellow and Steven in Broughty Ferry, Scotland www.goodfellowscakes.co.uk



Favours
"The ladies favours were a little silver address book and the men’s, a miniature whisky."


Entertainment
“We had a live band in the evening and our first dance was 'The Way You Look Tonight' by Frank Sinatra.”


Jillian’s Top Tips
“Make sure you check with your florist just before so they understand what you want. Savour every moment as it goes so quickly!”


Photographer details
“I liked my album at the time but now that I’m training to be a photographer I think we could have got someone better.”


Where did you spend your wedding night?
“We stayed at St Andrews Bay Hotel and everyone else stayed at the castle”. Jillian and Marcus then celebrated their marriage with a luxurious honeymoon to Mauritius!



Click on the bottom link to send to your Facebook profile!

No comments:

Post a Comment