Tuesday 31 August 2010

Tantrums and Tiaras: Crystals and Pearls for the Beautiful Girls

It's Tiara Tuesday!

A BIG SPARKLY welcome to Kelly Scully of Tantrums and Tiaras, tonight's Industry Expert!

Kelly began making jewellery aged just 12 years old, selling ‘the odd piece here and there’ to friends and family. As life commitments took priority, Kelly’s jewellery making stopped and it wasn’t until after falling ill in 2005 that Kelly found her passion in jewellery making again. In April 2007, as demand grew and ideas developed, Kelly resumed making and selling bespoke tiaras at her home studio in Bicester, Oxfordshire. Led by her strong passion and talent, the love affair with Tantrums and Tiaras began….

Kelly very kindly took time out from her Aladdin's Cave of Swarovski crystals, pearls, and freshwater pearls to chat to Bespoken Dreams:

“I find my design style doesn’t fit into one neat box. I love little pretty tiaras, but equally really enjoy making larger statement pieces. I particularly like converting vintage jewellery into tiaras or creating my own take on vintage themes. Oh and yes, of course I made my own tiara!”


What inspires or influences your designs?
Whilst I will look at what is happening in the bridal and fashion industries for current trends, I am totally against any form of copying. I have had the odd bride who will show me a picture of a tiara and ask me to copy it but this is something I refuse to do. I get my inspiration from everywhere. I have been stood on the underground before and something just came to me, and once driving through France I saw some lamp posts which gave me inspiration to incorporate into a design.
What is your most popular product?
There are two which have been our bestselling at the last two National Wedding Shows; Phoebe and Anne as the traditional type of tiaras, but the vintage inspired Victoria was the runway favourite.

What are the current trends for 2010?
There has been less call this year for the more traditional peak tiara and a huge swing towards side tiaras, particularly those which are either vintage or vintage inspired. I predict that this will continue into 2011 with the main focus on 1920-1940’s trend and style having a real influence. I think we’ll also see some creative use of feathers and birdcage veils to give a softer girly look.

What factors influence a bride’s decision in choosing her accessories?
There are many things which would influence the decision on accessories. Obviously, the dress is the biggest, but then the theme of the day, other heirloom pieces of jewellery being worn, matching with the rest of the bridal party, the hair, the shoes and what the bride’s mother and bridesmaids want all come into it. You also get the brides who are adamant when they come to see me that they don’t want a certain style of tiara, but then walk away with that style having tried it on. I had one bride recently who just couldn’t decide what between two of them and as such bought both, one for the ceremony and one for the evening.
At what stage in the planning do brides visit you?
Brides visit at all different times during the planning from 18 months to two years in advance, all the way down to the week before. This year though I seem to have been dealing with a lot more last minute brides, with about a month or two to go before the big day. I have seen brides at wedding shows who’ve just been ‘looking’ and then heard from them about a year later, when it is closer to the day.

What advice do you give your brides upon consultation?
The two main questions I ask are ‘have you got the dress yet?’ and ‘how are you wearing your hair?’ as both factors usually dictate what type of hair accesory the bride will wear. The main piece of advice I would give to start with is to suggest that a bride does not rule something out or in without trying it first. It’s amazing how many brides will be adamant they do not want a certain type of tiara but when they put try it is the one for them. When I’ve got an idea of style I can then pitch in with different advice on the type of band, how it will sit in the hair, how hairdressers can clip it in, height and other areas. The main thing is that the bride should be happy with the product she buys.
What’s the most extravagant order or request you’ve received?
Last Christmas I did a wedding for a bride who had 10 bridesmaids and 10 ushers and wanted cufflinks, headpieces and jewellery for all of them! December is usually a quiet month with brides winding down focusing on preparing for Christmas and come January 2nd it’s mad busy again. For this reason, December is certainly a good month to get a bespoke tiara made.
Have you ever experienced any in-store tantrums?!
I wouldn’t say that there are any in store tantrums to report on. The name ‘Tantrums and Tiaras’ was my husband’s idea and he will probably tell you that the tantrums are mine, although he has his own when the occasional bead ends up on the floor and he treads on them in bare feet! I’ve heard of “Bridezillas” but we’ve not had one at T&T. It may be our strong focus on delivering what the bride needs and wants that means there’s never any real need to have one. The ‘mother-in-law-to-be’ can sometimes cause more problems than they solve but I have yet to see an out and out tantrum…

Any 'exclusives' to share with Bespoken Dreams?
I am currently putting together next year’s collection and getting it all ready for my first proper photo shoot in October! I am really excited about both the shoot and the new collection. A lot of brides who have come for an appointment have zeroed straight in on the new collection (see picture above).
Do you have any top tips or words of wisdom for our B2B’s?
Sort your dress first and then come and see me. I have had a bride come and get a second tiara after she found the first didn’t go with the dress she had then bought.
We also advise brides to make sure they buy cuff links for the boys, it will stop the best man buying the novelty ‘don’t do it’ ones and you can also guarantee that one, if not all of the ushers and even the groom will turn up without a pair on the day.

What do you love about your job?
I love creating new pieces and being able to make something that will be in the wedding photo for years to come.
One of the worst things (of the job) is that some of the designs leave my fingers quite sore due to the wire that I have to use!
The wedding industry is a really nice industry to be a part of as everything about it ‘should’ be happy and exciting, but occasionally you do come across the rare supplier who can be a bit difficult. Fortunately, I get on with the majority of people in the industry including most of my ‘competitors’ and even recommend them if there is something I cannot do which I know they can.
And finally, who would be your dream top table wedding guests?
‘HOLLY WILLOUGHBY’ is who my husband has shouted to me in answer to this question, but tells me if she can come then I could have Tom Varndell present!
I would love to have Audrey Hepburn sat on a top table, but only to wear one of my Tiaras. I would have loved to have been able to have my grandparents with us on our top table too.
For more information please visit

No comments:

Post a Comment